TIPAT (ESR 5): Development and validation of a clinical MBEC assay for individualization of biofilm associated infections
The Institute of Infectious Diseases and Infection Control at the Jena University Hospital (Germany) offers an Early Stage Researcher / PhD candidate position on “Development and validation of a clinical MBEC assay for individualization of biofilm associated infections (ESR 5)” as part of the Innovative Training Network (ITN) Training towards Innovative Personalized Antibiotic Therapy (TIPAT).
Biofilms are the preferred life-form of microorganism protecting the microbes against antimicrobial treatment and the immune response and resulting in life threatening infections. In this project, biofilms of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, one of the most critical pathogens in cystic fibrosis (CF), will be addressed. The minimum concentration to eradicate a P. aeruginosa biofilm (MBEC) may be up to 1,000 times higher than the minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) determined through routine microbiological diagnosis for planktonic bacteria. In this project, the correlation of the MBEC of the respective isolate and the patient outcome will be investigated in order to assess evidence if a personalized biofilm-diagnostic may improve the therapy in CF-patients. To do so, retrospective isolates will be investigated and the statistically correlated with patient data. Additionally, alternative CF-therapies will be tested against the isolates to proof if strain-specific variability exists. In collaboration with the Leiden University (Netherlands), the clinical and preclinical data will be used for mathematical modelling in the CF system model.
- Master degree in the field of microbiology, biology, biotechnology, or equal (graduation before project start date)
- Experience in microbiological techniques (working under sterile condition, culturing microorganisms) are mandatory, experience in fluorescence microscopy, resistance testing and bacterial biofilms are desirable.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to organize research with both academics and professionals;
- Good communication (verbal and writing) skills in English;
- Confirmed capacity to write high-level scientific reports and papers;
- Interested in participating in educational tasks;
- Independent and creative team player;
Planned start of employment: Between 01-09-2020 and 01-11-2020
Duration of position: 36 months
- At the time of commencing their employment, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their (recruiting) host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to their recruitment.
- Applicants must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research career and have not been awarded a doctoral degree at the first day of their employment contract. This research experience is measured from the date when they obtain the degree which formally entitles them to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited), even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. Research experience is measured to the first day of the employment contract of the researcher.
- Usual MSCA eligibility criteria apply and will be verified during the application process. For more information on MSCA, please see: http://ec.europa.eu/mariecurieactions. Benefits
- The successful candidates will receive a 36-month, full-time employment contract as per Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) regulations for early stage researchers. The monthly salary will be confirmed upon offer, paid in the currency of the host country, and with a correction factor applied to the host country.
- In addition to their individual scientific projects, TIPAT ESRs will collaborate with world-leading research groups and industries within the consortium through secondments. All ESRs will benefit from further extensive and varied continuing education, completing a series of carefully designed training modules and transferable skills courses; they will participate in symposia, workshops, and international conferences and will have meaningful exposure to the industrial environment through TIPAT industrial partners.
Questions about this position can be send to Dr. Oliwia Makarewicz (email: email@example.com).
When applying, please use the following email subject title: TIPAT ESR5 – Your Name
In your application please include the following files:
- A motivation letter (1 page maximum), please include in your letter alternative ESR TIPAT positions of interest to you if not selected, if any.
- A CV according to the Europass format
- Two reference letters (at least one from your Master thesis supervisor)
- An up-to-date of grades in your bachelor and master programs
- Optional: English proficiency test results (TOEFL, IELTS)
- Additional certificates documenting your skills are welcome
The application deadline is May 20, 2020. We may extend this deadline depending on the developments of the COVID19 pandemic.
The application procedure is as follows:
- A notification for receiving your application is send after the application deadline.
- Applicants are notified if they are invited for video-conferencing interviews by May 30
- Interviews are schedule to be completed by June 15
- Hiring process is completed by June 30
Please note these dates may change if the application deadline is extended.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 861323.